Newcastle Island Park It’s commonly stated that this island’s the most haunted island in the Pacific. Many people have died in the mines beneath Newcastle, and at least one person died when it was briefly a smallpox colony. This forested park’s most famous ghost, however, is that of Peter Kakua, a Hawaiian axe murderer who killed his wife, in-laws and infant daughter. No cemetery was available to him, so he was buried in an unmarked grave on the island to which he had fled. His last night alive was spent in the Bastion (see next entry). His spirit is said to roam the beaches at dusk. There are many urban legends of teenagers disappearing, etc.
- Saltspring Island Archives: Newcastle Island by Tom Koppel. Audio File (1987)
- Spirits & Ghosts of Downtown Nanaimo CD by Donna Hill & Bruce Angus (2007)*
- Shaw TV Nanaimo: the Ghost of Newcastle Island (video)
- Paranormal Hot Spots: Kanaka Pete (not historically accurate)
- Secondhand Souls 4 Occult: the Haunting of Kanaka Pete